This is not humor . . .
And it's not a Blackjack tale.
But it is an OCD's . . . 21 Relationship Red Flags
No, I didn't copy this from a sleazy magazine lifted out of the rack at the Walmart checkout counter. This is written from real life, first-hand experience.
Young people, you should probably pay attention to an OCD*, because there are many years of wisdom packed into his satchel of life and living. These 21 red flags may be only a small sample of the big, locked up closet full of relationship red flags, but they are the ones I can speak about with solid authority.
In the beloved Jeff Foxworthy style, but certainly not at all a joke, . . .
1. If there are regular falsehoods (lies) told and/or information is withheld from you that is pertinent to your lives as a couple . . .
2. If there is no compromise, but instead a "their way or no way" kind of atmosphere with regard to certain issues . . .
3. If there is overt duplicity in how their friends, family, colleagues, and others are treated versus how your peeps are treated . . .
4. If you find yourself visiting their family or friends regularly, but your own family and friends very seldom, or you find yourself having to go alone to your peeps when you do go . . .
5. If you visit their family or friends by yourself/alone regularly, but your significant other never visits your family or friends without you being there . . .
6. If they don't participate in financial investments like the down payment for the purchase of a home or car when they have a good income and are indeed quite capable of contributing . . .
7. If they secretly send money to family or friends, or open bank accounts without discussing it with you . . .
8. If they change insurance policy beneficiaries (and you are no longer the beneficiary) without letting you know . . .
9. If they buy things like cemetery plots without telling you, and in a state in which you have no intention of being buried . . .
10. If there are photos throughout your home of their family and friends, but none of your family or friends . . . unless you put them up yourself . . .
11. If they are always able to take time off work when their family and friends visit, but seldom able to take time off when your family or friends visit . . .
12. If you find yourself hosting and entertaining their family and friends without their help and/or in their absence, but the reverse never happens . . .
13. If you always cook with them in mind, but they only cook what they like and want, often including nothing you care for . . .
14. If they often lie about who they are with or where they have been . . .
15. If it's just fine for them to have close friends of the opposite sex, but forbidden for you to have such friends . . .
16. If they regularly accuse you of behavior unbecoming when no such behavior ever took place . . . (projection) . . .
17. If lovemaking seems all about them, their needs, their schedule, and their desires only . . .
18. If you often spend time working on projects or creating something special for them (crafts, decorating, etc.), but the reciprocal never happens . . .
19. If you participate in their special occasions and events, but they are always too busy to participate in your special occasions and events . . .
20. If there are no photos or keepsakes of special times together as a couple around your home, unless you take the initiative to procure and display them . . .
21. If you have regularly arranged special events like birthday parties, social gatherings, vacations, etc. for them, but that never happens for you . . .
. . . you might have a relationship red flag or two that needs your attention !!
Or . . . you might have a locked closet full of them!!! It's important to get them out of the closet before it's too late. Thrust me, no matter how terrible it may seem to get these red flags aired out, it will be exponentially more horrible to let them continue to ferment into a vicious Hollywood style breakup and/or divorce!!!
Next time I get serious writing about relationships, I'll give you information about the signs you should look for to recognize whether or not you are living with someone who has NPD, Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
*Old Cajun Dude
The Easy Cajun